This was a series of projects for AtTask about their work with Trek bikes. The raw shots were really flat so as the saturation was lifted some colors needed dialed up and down depending on their sensitivity level to the sensor in the camera. To get skin tones right some of those have been individualy shifted with a subtle selection to keep them from noising up too badly. Take a look at the before and after stills to see what I did.
This project, was a challenge because any time you create a dark space you risk loosing detail that gives context to each shot. Global corrections are really limiting on things like this.
There are subtle pushes of light in most of these shots. If you click back and forth on the Vador shot below you might notice the light that comes into face. In the finished spot you'll notice that he's moving through the room on that shot. Besides being really selective in where the light is pushing I also had to animate these selections so they'd match the movement of the camera and the action in the scene. There are other ones in there but I'll let you discover them.
created by Robogo Productions LLC.
Gotta say I'm always excited to see what's goin on in Scott's videos, but this one went above and beyond my expectations. This one needed to feel cold and middle-of-nowhereish. I went with a little more amber tone to the highlights to balance things out and was pretty happy with the results. I think I was inspired by DeLorean shots from Macklemore's Thrift Shop. These aren't nearly as green but I think that's where the idea for something less blue came from.
Here's a ton of before and after shots because I was fascinated by the transformation. Hope you'll check em out. This was shot on a mix of Phantom, Red, Canon, and Gopro cameras. All of those profiles are extremely different and sometimes can take a lot of work to get matching. So while the video seems random and coincidental not a minute of it is. That's the magic of it all I guess. Enjoy.
followed up by this!
Here's a Passover medley I colored for the Maccabeats. This is a mix of C300 and 5D footage wich presented some problems because of the differences in color sensitivity between the two. To get the 5D shots matching the rest I had to pull some creative selections on certain colors that were'nt responding as well. Stage lighting also introduced some new problems with colored lights in the fleshtone spectrum. Normally in the real world you don't have magenta and red light sources. So balancing the whole thing inn a pleasingly natural yet filmicly stylized way was a bit of a challenge.
Here's some before and after stills.
I want to first thank all my clients for the great material they bring me. I love what I do, but its the caliber of photography that lets my work shine. Over the past year I've been developing some new techniques that really pull the audience in. There are several I've already been using but I wanted to push just a little further since I really believe layering subtle changes is key. So after long hours of considering and trimming and deleting, I finally got together my very favorite shots of the year in a watchable format. I still think I want to do a long version because so many things got cut.
I love color transformation. Please contact me if you think I might be able to help you with a project!